A review of food myths would not be complete if we don’t address the vilification of the egg. Eggs are quite possibly on of the most perfect foods we have on this earth.
- Eggs are one of the healthiest and most affordable sources of protein.
- An egg breakfast can help with weight loss.
- Eggs DO NOT have a negative impact on cholesterol levels.
- Eggs are essential to the health of the eye and maintenance of good vision. Egg yolks contain lutein and zeaxanthin which prevent macular degeneration and cataracts. Supplements containing lutein and zeaxanthin are prescribed by ophthalmologists but these nutrients are much better absorbed when they are obtained from the diet and the egg yolk is a perfect source.
- Eggs may reduce the incidence of heart attack and stroke by preventing clotting and inflammation.
- Eggs support a health brain and nervous system. Eggs contain choline which is so important for the health of our cells, especially in the brain and nervous system.
- DO NOT throw away the yolk. The yolk is the healthiest part of the egg. That is where all the nutrients are packed. Egg beaters are a marketing gimmick that takes advantage of the myth that the fat and cholesterol in the egg is bad for your health. This couldn’t be further from the truth. They remove the yolks then add in mass produced, poorly absorbed vitamins, additives, and preservatives.