One of the biggest mistakes I see people make when they are trying to lose weight is to skip meals. Those who skip breakfast have much higher risk of obesity. Eating small meals frequently (I recommend every 3 hours) helps to stabilize blood sugar and minimize hormonal swings that promote weight gain. Another mistake is eating food with little nutritional value. Focus on eating to fuel your body not just to satisfy hunger. Here are some health snack ideas:
- Handful of almonds, pecans, walnuts, or brazil nuts with or without dried fruit: best if raw and organic
- Slice of Swiss cheese rolled with prosciutto or ham and slice of cantaloupe
- Half apple and 1 tablespoon of natural peanut or almond butter: Organic natural peanut butter is best but alternate choice Skippy natural
- Triscuits thins with snack-size container of cottage cheese and bunch of black or red grapes
- Hummus with veggies (of mixed colors such as red peppers, carrots, and snap peas)
- Small square of dark, organic chocolate dipped in natural peanut butter
- Salsa with blue corn chips or other multigrain tortilla chips (look for added flax and fiber content at least 3 grams) such as R.W. Garcia Flax or Garden of Eatin’ Multi Grain. Watch the portions… it’s easy to eat a lot if eating out of the bag. Take about 15 chips and about ¼ – ½ cup salsa and put the rest away.