Let’s face it… we are all very busy. Unfortunately, we are often too busy to focus on our health. Stress, lack of exercise, and poor nutrition are killing us slowly. This 30 minute daily routine is a way to multitask for better health. And it is a great way to start the day. This routine addresses 7 of the 8 essentials of health (exercise, sunshine, relaxation, breathing, nutrition, water and attitude).
Take a brisk walk (exercise) in the sunshine (vitamin D) while listening to music and/or praying (relaxation lowers stress hormones). When you return home from your walk, perform four controlled breaths (breathing lowers stress hormones) while focusing on positive affirmations and/or prayer (attitude). Follow this by a big glass of water and a high protein, healthy breakfast (nutrition).
These foundation elements of health when practiced regulary are more powerful than any medication. I guarantee that this routine practiced daily will transform your health and your life.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound.
- Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.
- Hold your breath for a count of seven.
- Exhale completely through your mouth, making a whoosh sound to a count of eight.
- This is one breath. Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three more times for a total of four breaths.
Affirmations: Researchers estimate that 80-95% of our behavior is controlled by our unconscious mind. Affirmations can help you to tap into the power of your subconsious mind and change your attitude. This is a great straight-forward guide on how to write affirmations. Here is a very funny demonstration by 4 year-old Jessica on how affirmations should be done.
Healthy breakfast ideas: ditch the cereal, bagels, and breakfast bars. High carb breakfast foods are devoid of the protein and nutrients that we need to maintain optimal health. Instead, start your day with protein, healthy fats, whole grains, and fruits or vegies.
- Greek style yogurt with organic seeds, nuts, and fruit (fresh or dried)
- Ezekial bread toasted with peanut or almond butter topped with thinly sliced apple and a drizzle of raw honey
- Hard or soft boiled or poached eggs with fruit
- Omelet with vegies topped with a little feta or goat cheese with or without a slice of Ezekial bread
- Steel cut oatmeal topped with nuts (pecans, almonds, or walnuts), berries, and honey
- Smoothie (make sure it is high in protein with fruits and vegies)