Now that the New Year is upon us, you are probably trying to keep your New Year’s resolution of eating better and exercising. The most common reason that people don’t exercise is that they feel they don’t have the time. The truth is that evidence shows you can get a much more effective workout in a shorter period of time.
High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is doing aerobic exercise with intervals made up of alternating sprints with a less intense pace. HIIT can be done with any aerobic activity such as walking/running outdoors or on a treadmill, bicycling, swimming, rowing, etc… Although it’s benefits have been known for many years, HIIT has only recently become a hot trend in the fitness world.
Why you should start HIIT today…
- Burn more calories in a shorter period of time
- Increase your metabolism for 24-48 hours after HIIT
- Build muscle and burn fat, specifically that stubborn belly fat
- Increase the anti-aging hormone, HGH by 450% for 24 hours following your workout
- Increase testosterone levels
- Improve blood sugar and insulin sensitivity after only 2 weeks of HIIT
Movement is the most powerful tool that we have to promote longevity and optimal aging. It’s a surprise that so many people lead such a sedentary lifestyle when the simple, anti-aging tool is it everybody’s disposal, no equipment required.
How to start HIIT…
- Warm up for 3 minutes
- Start with 15 seconds sprint followed by 30 seconds at slower pace. Gradually work your way up to 1 minute sprint followed by 2 minute at a slower pace
- Start with 2-3 intervals with each workout and add 1 interval every 2 weeks, working your way up to at total of 6-8 intervals per workout
- Rest at least 48 hours between HIIT workouts