What Supplements Should I Be Taking? How to Find Out What Nutrients Your Body Needs Now and Long-Term
The Number-one Priority
- Making sure that you are consuming enough macronutrients (proteins, carbohydrates, and fats) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) daily.
- Minimizing the amount of processed foods you consume, especially those containing trans fats, high added sugars, or excessive sodium and oil.
- Drinking at least 8 glasses of water daily while minimizing the amount of high-sugar drinks, like soda and artificial juice, you consume.
- Listening to your body by eating when you’re hungry and finishing when you’re full.
- Getting most of your nutrients from plants, lean meats, legumes, and other whole foods.
For the most part, it’s normal to indulge. Enjoy a glass of wine or a piece of cake every so often, unless your physician has advised you otherwise. With that said, creating and maintaining a habit of consuming foods that are high in nutrients is the best way to make sure your body gets the best sustenance as naturally as possible.
What’s the Deal with Supplements?
Most nutrients are water soluble and are simply excreted by the body if taken in excess. However, some nutrients like fat soluble vitamins can have adverse effects if too much is taken consistently. This is why the best thing you can do if you’re curious about taking supplements is to talk to your physician. Depending on your medical history, diet, allergies, current symptoms, and goals for the future, your doctor can help you come up with a customized supplement regimen that fits your specific conditions and goals. Meeting with a concierge doctor who can not only map out a supplement regimen for you, but who can periodically check in and modify this regimen as needed, is the ultimate way to make sure your nutrition is as well-rounded as possible in the long term.
Concierge Medicine Explained: Why this Approach is a (Literal) Lifesaver if You Never Have Time for the Doctor.
Not having time for the doctor isn’t the same as not needing the doctor. With the many inefficiencies that come with traditional patient care (long wait times, minimum physician facetime, and time-consuming administrative work), it’s not difficult to discern why...
Get Started Now
Achieving your best health begins
with the click of a button.
100 2nd Ave S, Suite 904S,
St. Petersburg, FL 33701